- Compounds containing a catechol moiety (benzene ring with 2 adjacent OH groups) and an amine side chain
- An agent that increases the contractility of the heart
- More specifically called a "positive inotrope"
- Commonly misused term when actually referring to a vasopressor
- An agent that increases the heart rate
- More specifically called a "positive chronotrope"
- An agent that increases systemic blood pressure by causing vasoconstriction
Comparison of Agents
- Click here to download a Word doc with a table comparing sympathomimetic drugs
- It includes a blank version
- You should memorise the key points, then fill the details into the blank version once per day until you have it memorised
- It's a grind, but it doesn't take that long to do